Sunday, December 18, 2011

Saturday Soul: Holiday Reading...



I am currently reading a book called "Little Princes" by Connor Grennan. It's the story of an American College Graduate who established a home for children who were victims of child trafficking in Nepal. It is also his account of risking his life to find other trafficked kids and to reunite them with their families. I highly recommend it, not only as a book that touches your soul but one that is written in such humour at times, that you can't help but laugh out loud. It will especially appeal to anyone who has traveled to areas like Nepal or India, where the cultural differences can create lots of humour (once you get past the frustration that is!). As is evidenced by the following excerpt:


"Few places in the world can teach forbearance like Nepal. Let's say, for instance, that I asked somebody to buy me some bananas from the shop next door. In fact, let's say that I asked him to buy me bananas a week ago - then I reminded him hourly over the next few days. On that one billionth time that I reminded him that he promised to buy the bananas, the man would most likely respond with something to the effect of: "It will definitely happen today, my friend. I swear to you on the life of my son - your bananas will be bought today, in the next hour for sure. Erase all doubt from your mind. In fact, it is actually done already, even as we speak it is being concluded, as sure as the sun rose in the east this morning those bananas have been purchased. They belong to you now - the shopkeeper has no rightful claim to them any longer. You can open your mouth now for the preparation of consuming this banana, which is here, right now. It is in my hand and on its way to your mouth, so I hope that you are ready to eat this fine banana. Your teeth may begin to close as the banana is now in your mouth. How does it taste? Is it very fine?"


What that man really means is: "what bananas?"


Definitely go and pick this book up as a holiday read! I nabbed by copy via the Book Depository for $11  (shipping is free!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...