Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday Musings: Permission Granted...

                                                                Source: frenchbydesign.blogspot.com via Belinda on Pinterest


This week I'm giving myself permission.


Permission to do nothing I am usually obligated to do (or make myself feel obligated to do). No cleaning the bathroom, no cleaning the kitchen, no vacuuming, no running at lunch time. Bedrooms untidy - oh well. Scrambled eggs for dinner - sweet!


In short, I'm having a week of being somewhat lazy. Why? Because thats what my intuition is telling me I need. Obviously weeks on end of no cleaning or making 'proper' meals or exercising is not a good idea but every now and then we need to cut ourselves a break. A break from the pressures of trying to do everything, of being at the top of our game, of juggling all the balls. And sometimes in order to keep the balls in the air it is necessary to put them all down, just for a little while. Having an untidy house for a week is not really going to affect my life. My mind sometimes makes me thing that if I let some things slip for a few days or a week it will ultimately lead to a lifetime of misery or disarray. But seriously, is a week of not having a tidy house going to equal a lifetime of squalor? Is a week of not running going to make me lose all my fitness and never play another hockey game well? I don't think so..... But that is the kind of pressure I place on myself each week in regards to so many aspects of life (I would hazard a guess that most of us do). Some weeks all these things happen naturally and effortlessly and there is no problem. In the ones, however, where we feel empty, dog tired and drained, it is necessary to cut ourselves some slack.


So my basic obligations will be fulfilled this week - going to work, looking after Bailey, one night of hockey training and my creative writing course. Apart from this, however, I'm going to do whatever I feel like doing in each moment. At this point in time that may very well look like sitting on the couch under a blanket watching tv or reading a book in any spare time I have. And if thats what will make me feel rested, lighter and less weighed down this week, then I give myself permission to do just that.


What will you give yourself permission to do this week? 


P.S If you need some tips on how to take gentle care of yourself when you are busy busy busy then check out this article by Marthe over at The Freedom Experiment. Sooooo many good ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...