Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thursday Thoughts: A Big Difference...

                                                                               Source: flickr.com via Belinda on Pinterest

In light of The Kony 2012 phenomenon (I'm sure there aren't many peeps left on the planet who haven't seen this), I've been thinking about the whole concept of making a difference in this world. One of my bestest gal pals mentioned to me last night how she was struggling with a feeling that she wasn't making a big enough difference. When she said this I could relate. Since I can remember I've had an innate sense of feeling that I was put on this earth to make a difference, to change things, to serve other people. I used to get caught up and frustrated in thinking that my impact on the world is insignificant and should be bigger.

I still don't necessarily know what my specific purpose is and I still struggle with wanting to discover it.  But what I have come to understand is that the key to making a huge difference is to start with yourself. How does focusing on yourself help others you ask? Quite simply, I believe that by understanding yourself ie your values, your skills, your talents, your passion, your uniqueness, you are better able to understand others. When you have taken the time to love yourself, know yourself and understand yourself you are so much more able to love others, understand others and help others. I'm sure some of you would think that to focus on yourself before others sounds selfish or couldn't possibly lead to making a difference to others. But believe me, it does. When you are in tune and in flow with who you truly are as a person and your deepest desire is to make a difference and contribute to the world, the universe opens up and directs you. When you have taken the time to figure out what you value in life, where you want to make a difference, what talents you have and how they can best be used, you have a much greater chance of affecting change or serving others in your world.

Imagine how different our world could be if everyone understood the capacity they have to make a difference in this world? If every single one of us knew what our gift was and believed and understood that we make a difference just by being ourselves and letting our lights shine, it would be extraordinary. Whilst these global actions like Kony 2012 are amazing and are needed and should be supported, we all have the ability to serve others and make significant change every day of our lives. We often underestimate the impact that our every day actions have on others. But by connecting with others, encouraging others, respecting others, being kind to others, loving others, you are making a difference in someone's life and hence the world. Anything you do, no matter how big or small, that encourages someone else to think better, act better, and live better has a positive impact on humanity.

Shine your light and rejoice in it and you will give permission for others to do the same.


And that will make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...