Saturday, March 31, 2012

Saturday Soul: Holy Cow...

                                                                    Source: yourworldreligions.blogspot.com via Z on Pinterest


I've been re-reading Sarah Macdonald's book, Holy Cow, the hilarious account of her Indian Adventure from her time when she lived there for a number of years. I first read it back in 2002 (oh my God as I read this I feel sick thinking that that was a decade ago. Sheesh....). Anyway, I was in a second hand bookstore last week and saw it on the shelf and felt that I really wanted to buy it - so I did. If you have never read it, you absolutely must. If you've never been to India it is one of the best depictions of the crazy and wonderful country in all its glory. If you have been to India you'll also love it because it's like re-living every aspect of what filled you with love and drove you crazy when you were there.

There are accounts and descriptions in the book which have you crying with laughter but also insights and words of wisdom such as the following that an elderly woman shared with Sarah on her travels:

"I like your Jesus and such and there's no doubt he was a great sadhu, most likely trained in India, but you know, he was wrong about God. God is not a judgmental giant sitting up in heaven, it's a force within us all - we are lightbulbs in the electrical system of the universe."


Captures brilliantly the pervading view on faith that I experienced (and believe myself) and explains why I felt like I had 'come home' spiritually when I was there. Oh India. Holy Cow, what a place......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...