Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday Soul: I Am Worth All Of It...

My friend, Ange, and I had a conversation last night where I asked her what 3 things she was going to do to feed her soul this weekend. I then shared mine and we said we would hold each other accountable to having done those things for ourselves by the end of Sunday night. After that conversation, I read this quote from Anna Guest-Jelley (she was referring to yoga but the sentiment is the same regardless of what activity or action applies to you).


"Every day when I awake, I face the allure of the snooze button or getting onto my mat with my stiff morning body. This choice is a microcosm of my life: determining and asserting my priorities. Honouring rest when needed but also holding myself accountable to what helps me feel grounded throughout the day".


A balancing act I have been thinking a lot about lately. Often when it comes to the weekend I am tempted to use any long stretches of time to do nothing, or rest, or catch up on sleep. But the flip side of this can lead to me getting stuck in a rut where I don't do other things that I know feed my soul and that I also want to do.
So this weekend I was determined to not make everything an 'either/or' and to just 'do' the things I keep thinking about but not doing. I cleaned my house last night, watched episodes of Sex and The City, did grocery shopping this morning, had breakfast with my sister Lauren and did a little retail therapy, designed and published my new blog, made myself chocolate pudding for dessert, and read my book. If someone had told me a few days ago this is what my Saturday would look like I would probably have said "If I do all those things I'll be exhausted by the end of the weekend". But in fact, after having done them, the opposite has occurred. I feel like my tank has been filled because I made looking after my health a priority (I have a tendency to not eat as well as I should, usually due to lack of organisation and only cooking for myself....), I connected with my sister, spent the morning in a suburb I don't normally hang out in, I cleaned my physical surroundings which makes me feel much more calm and means I can enjoy my space, gave myself a new place (ie this blog) to chronicle and share all the thoughts and inspiration I've been storing up, rested, allowed myself to make dessert even though I'm on my own, and read a book which, as my biggest passion, always fills my tank. And I've still got another day of the weekend to go where I get to fill my tank through family (my little man comes back to me tomorrow and I will see my sisters and my parents), and I get to fill the physical fitness tank when I play hockey (plus much more I'm sure!).
Sometimes what we need is a little shift in perspective......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...