Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday Musings: Light hearts and free minds...

                                                                           Source: weheartit.com via Belinda on Pinterest



I've just started reading a book called "Phra Farang - An English Monk in Thailand". It is written by a man who, in his forties, decided to cast off the life he had known to become a Buddhist monk. Part of the process involved him giving away all his worldly possessions, about which he writes:

"I'd spent most of my life acquiring nice things and surrounding myself with stuff, so it was initially quite difficult to give up these props. That's all they really were, even though every one had seemed essential for my comfort, happiness and well being. However, I soon discovered that every time something left my life, my heart became a little less heavy and my mind became a little more free"

Over the past couple of years I have learnt a great deal about the value of letting go of 'stuff' and can absolutely relate to the freedom and light heartedness that Peter describes. For most of my twenties it felt as though most of life revolved around acquiring things. A career, a good car, a mortgage, expensive clothing, pay tv etc. There was a definite sense of always looking towards the next thing or things outside myself in order to achieve a sense of satisfaction. This isn't even really because I'm a materialistic person, because I wouldn't say I am. But in reality it was what surrounded me for most of my life. Its the way society is geared and its quite hard not to be influenced by it. 


But now I appreciate the fact that my life has less 'stuff' in it but feels more full than it ever has. What I do have, I really appreciate, I find the beauty and enjoyment in small things, I feel so much more connected to so many people in my life, I know myself better than I ever have, my heart is less heavy and I feel free. And I totally believe that much of this is the result of simplifying my life, removing the unnecessary 'stuff' and distractions and changing my idea of what I 'need' in order to be happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...