Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday Soul: A Single Man & My Dad...

                                                                   Source: rikshawdesign.blogspot.com via Belinda on Pinterest


On the eve of Fathers Day here in Australia, I am drawn to write about my Dad. I actually wrote the following words in a journal, way back some time at the start of the year and feel it would be fitting to share them now:


Tonight I watched the film "A Single Man" starring Colin Firth. I thought it was such a beautiful film. Beautiful in terms of the depth of human emotion that it showed. I felt every emotion, was a part of every interaction and felt that Tom Ford did an amazing job putting it together. Colin Firth was truly brilliant - such an amazing actor.


The other thing that made watching this film such an 'experience' for me was a conversation that I had with my Dad last week about it (my Dad and Step-Mum recommended the movie and lent it to me to watch). Last weekend my Dad was describing the movie to me and while he was doing so I was struck by a number of things; how great it was to have an intellectual conversation with him, how much I loved sharing with him what he had taken away from the film, and in talking about this (and not for the first time), how much of my personality comes from my Dad. My love of literature and anything that teaches you something, my willingness to share what I learn, my compassion, empathy and non-judgement in regards to others, and the joy I find in sharing conversations like that. These similarities have most likely always existed but life circumstances dictated that up until the past few years this hasn't been at the forefront of our relationship. So what I want to express now is my gratitude for being able to see it and experience it and to thank him for what he has passed on to me.


I can't conclude this post without including one of the most beautiful quotes from the movie:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...