Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Thursday Thoughts: Treating Yourself...

                                                                             Source: google.com via Belinda on Pinterest


On Saturday I bought myself a new pack of Oracle cards. They are the Oracle of Shadows and Light by Lucy Cavendish, with gorgeous illustrations by Jasmine Beckett-Griffith. Often I'll buy cards and use them a few times then forget about them for a while. But with these ones it feels different. I've felt compelled to have them around me. I'm not even really sure why. I was really drawn to the explanation of the cards, the illustrations (must be my love of illustrating), and the meaning behind them. Anyway, I've taken to pulling one card a day, in the morning, and carrying that thought or message with me or challenging myself to think about where I can apply the advice to my own life. It's kind of like my little ritual before I go in to work.


Yesterday's card was "It's Time For a Treat." A reminder that giving yourself little luxuries or treats helps you re-connect with your self-love and self-worth. Despite the fact that I do believe it is so important to give yourself nice things, I fall into the habit of denying myself. In the back of my head I will be questioning if I deserve something enough, have I worked hard enough, have I waited long enough? Being measured in your purchasing and budgeting for things is wise. But, perpetually denying yourself little treats that make you feel good and happy leads to an energy around you of lack. You are essentially saying "I don't deserve abundance, I don't deserve to feel good", which is not the case. We all deserve to live in abundance and to feel good. You may treat yourself to a massage, a creative workshop, a new pair of shoes - anything that makes you feel good. Treats do not even have to be expensive or material items. You could treat yourself to a nap or a sleep in, clear space to meditate or time with a friend for a chat.


When I pulled this card I decided I would follow through with the advice (the whole point of using the cards) and treat myself to something. In particular something that I had been denying myself. My first thought was David Beckham, hence the photo above. But I was pretty sure that might be a little out of the realms of possibility, so I booked myself in for a haircut and colour instead! On a serious note, I've been putting it off for months due to the cost, but its time to hang the expense in order to give myself a bit of love. Having your hair done is one of the best things for sitting still, relaxing, reading trashy mags, having a coffee and basically being pampered. And do you know what? As soon as I made the appointment I felt instantly better about myself. Looking forward to new hair on Saturday!


What's something you could treat yourself to if you were to choose something right now? I challenge you to make it happen and see the results for yourself....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...